17 December 2009

Arrival of GPS units

My GPS16s finally arrived today. The sender posted them 8 weeks and 2 days ago, from the eastern states. I would just like to congratulate Australia Post for finally getting them here, presumably via the long path. The guys on the ISS must be wondering why it passed their way.
AP postal workers have just gone on strike for more pay. I can only assume they must do other things besides deliver mail. Perhaps they defuse unexploded bombs or tame wild tigers (or something equally unrelated to mail delivery) If you aren't from Au then AP is the Australian Government-owned postal service with a monopoly in Australia, and we all know how beneficial monopolies are.
Just to drag things out a little more, the GPSs don't have the RJ45 connector that the spec manual says. In fact there's no documentation anywhere in the known universe or google about this connector. It looks a bit like a PS-2 keyboard plug, but not. Luckily the the cable wires match the colours of the RJ45 wiring. Snip. Meanwhile both the adaptors I premade to work with the OpenTracker+ are not much use now. Also, no mounting brackets or mag base were supplied. I guess you get that buying second-hand-but-unopened stuff through online classifieds. No matter, I have a large hammer and plenty of pent-up rage.
And just to make my day, I was cleaning my workshop at work today when I noticed a dugite trying to hide amongst my boxes of spare parts and junk. Their venom is one of the deadliest in the world. I left. I start annual leave after tomorrow, so some underpaid smake expert (maybe one of those postal workers) better find it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment