19 January 2010

Connect PX-777 to OT+ using free earpiece

Here's how I connected my PX-777 to the OpenTracker+ using the free earpiece/mike. Your earpiece may be different. Use this information at your own risk. If you can't see the whole image then just click on it.
The easiest way I found was to crack open the mike/PTT thingie using a pair of pliers or similar (it came apart quite easily) and then desolder the wires from the mike, PTT button and wire leading to the ear piece. The wires are coloured as in the diagram. The 'copper' wire was just that, no colour to the insulation.
This method is a lot easier than cutting the cable off and trying to tin the individual wires. This type of wire can be tricky to tin. I mounted the DB-9M inside a standard shell. Make sure the wires are restrained properly otherwise it's all going to fall apart. I put several layers of heatshrink tubing over the wires as the restraining clamp would not have enough to clamp down on.
I also built a voltage regulator to power the PX-777 without batttery. I used an LM317 TO-220 in the normal configuration built on some veroboard (stripboard). I included the input and output capacitors as well as the reverse protection diodes.
After measuring the voltage of the fully charged battery, I found that the radio is happy to run from 8.2 volts, so I set the LM317 to that. I probably could have used a 7808 regulator but I didn't have one.
I powered the PX-777, OT+ and GPS16-HVS all from the regulator and it worked fine on a 30 minute journey. I wouldn't recommend transmitting with the radio for normal QSOs, especially if the regulator isn't on a decent heatsink like mine isn't. The regulator can handle the occasional 1 second data transmissions but it probably won't like continuous duty. I found some information on the battery eliminator you can buy for these radios and they are rated at 3 amps. I doubt the radio draws 3 amps though. I probably should measure it some time...
To connect power to the radio without a battery I am using nippy clips (small insulated alligator/crocodile clips.. whatever colloquialism you want use) temporarily until I find a better solution. I might end up just getting a battery eliminator anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment