16 January 2010

More PX-777

Can you program a PX-777 with Icom or Yaesu cables? No. If you have a programming cable for other radios that is 'one wire' (ie the TX and RX comms travel down one wire) then they will not work. Later Icoms and Yaesus seem to use these. Most Chinese radios seem to be compatible with Kenwood and use separate TX and RX line. Some earlier Icoms and Yaesus do use two wire but I don't know if they are true RS232 or are TTL. Let me know.
On the plus side, you can use the USB TTL adaptor that I mentioned in the previous post on some (maybe all?) newer Icoms. All you need to do is join the RX and TX lines together on the TTL side and add a suitable lead. I've done exactly that with the adaptor I mentioned connected to an IC-706MKIIG and an IC-208H. You need the software as well :-)
I'm looking at why I can't do the same with Yaesu. The way the TX and RX are tied together seems to be different. Probably the same reason why I can't use the 3rd party Icom adaptor I bought on a VX-3R or FT-1802.
I also forgot to mention in my previous - when programming the PX-777, you don't need to set the radio into a particular mode. Just turn it on, plug the plug(s) in and start communications.
Found the issue with the unit not charging in the charger. The charger has two projections, one either side that slot into grooves on the battery. It's possible to insert the radio so the projections are completely behind the whole unit. There's way too much play in the bay. Just pay attention to how you push it in.
I plan on playing with this radio for a few days as a regular handheld for voice just to see what they are like. So far the
Pros: Seems to get out well. Software is legally free and can be made to work. All documentation including service manual and informtion for interfacing is publicly available. Speaker volume is definitely not lacking! (See cons) Kenwood handheld accessories are interchangeable. Easy to interface for packet/APRS. LiPo battery. 12v charger for easy adaptation to mobile and portable use and uses a standard 2.1mm DC plug. Solid contruction. Plenty of information on line how to disassemble and reassemble.

and cons: Antenna connector gender isn't logical. Volume control goes from soft to LOUD very quickly. Software, although free, is poorly written. English voice announcer could be made by someone who speaks English without accent (my wife's NavMan does several different English accents and US American) The English manual needs translating to English. No biggy but the selectable colours for the LED illumination are just weird: Violet, blue and orange. Violet? Some obvious functions are completely omitted from the manual; eg How to get it to display channel tags instead of the frequency. Stumbled upon that one on tha interweb. Can't plug in a standard external speaker - get a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor (they do exist; my Laser DMP is the same) The PTT button is very touchy. I sneezed a while ago and three callsigns said "Gesundheit." OK slight exaggeration but would need to modify for day-to-day use. Was the same for my FT-1802 mike.

Sorry about the typing... I'm on teh netbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment