03 October 2010

VK6UFO-9 downgrade...

For some reason my mobile APRS wasn't getting out. After some fooling around I found that TX audio wasn't making it out of the OpenTracker+. Even stranger, it wasn't going out until I connected an amplified speaker to the signal where it started working.. and stopped when I removed the speaker. Looks like one of the divider resistors has a bad solder joint or something. I'm not sure because I had to disconnect the power to the GPS receiver (which is injected through one of the JP links) to get at the audio test point. When I reconnected the GPS power (8 volts) I plugged it into the output of the 5 volt regulator by accident. The regulator survived no problem. The 5v micro-controller, however, had a myocardial infarction. That's a heart attack, not some sort of kinky sex act. All the LEDs lit up and the PTT was on permanent TX. That was one dead black caterpillar. Thanks to Danny VK6ZUK for a loaner until my order for more OT+ and micro-controllers comes in.
I've also ordered from Argent Data a tiny OpenTracker+ (SMT version) and an even tinier GPS receiver module. I hope to make a portable all-in-one unit by fitting both into a battery eliminator for a PX-777 handheld radio. These things replace the battery, are mostly empty space and offer around 7.5 - 8 volts which will power the tracker, which will in turn power the GPS receiver. With a little luck, a smaller generic 7.4v LiPo battery will fit inside along with the other stuff and the radio will become a tiny self-contained portable APRS. A smaller battery should do since the duty cycle is quite low. There's quite a bit of hope involved at the moment.
I wonder if a Tracker2 board would fit inside an FT-1802.

No comments:

Post a Comment