31 October 2010

VK6UFO-9 upgrade..

I was back on air fairly quickly when I accidentally ended up with one of VK6ZUK Danny's spare OT+ units. Thanks for letting me keep it for a while. Meanwhile I ordered a couple of spare microcontrollers and some other stuff. At $USD7 per microcontroller it wasn't such an expensive blunder after all. It also highlights why you should always save a copy of your configuration to disk. After fitting the microcontroller, a quick load from file and write to device and you're back to normal.

The other 'stuff' I ordered was a couple of OT+ SMT (surface mount technology which equals REALLY SMALL UNIT), a GP525 tiny GPS receiver module (designed for internal use) and an experimenters solderless breadboard (I can buy these locally but importing them from Argent in the USA is cheaper!)
Now all I need to do is see if I can fit the OT+ SMT and GPS into the battery compartment of the PX-777 handheld. I have a hammer. The other thing I like about these is that the telemetry inputs are a lot more flexible than the regular OT+ or the Tracker2. It's just a shame that the documentation is very poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment